Saturday, August 23, 2008

N82 Nokia Sports Tracker

"Nokia Sports Tracker is a GPS-based activity tracker that runs on Nokia smartphones. Information such as speed, distance and time are automatically stored in your training diary." -link

I recently installed the Nokia Sports Tracker to my N82. I tried using it on my ferry ride from Dumaguete to Siquijor. While the Nokia Sports Tracker was running, it was showing me the distance I've traveled, time elapsed, and of course, my current speed (i.e. the speed of the ferry).

According to my N82, I traveled almost 30km at an average speed of almost 30km/h. The Nokia Sports Tracker doesn't have a map of the Earth though so you can't see where you are in the world.

The coolest feature is the ability of the Nokia Sports Tracker to export the information in a file that can be opened by Google Earth. The screen shot above shows the path taken by the Delta Fast ferry from Dumaguete to Larena, Siquijor.

Here’s a featured Nokia Sports Tracker user who used his N95 to track his airplane ride.

The best thing about this feature is that it doesn't cost a thing. It's absolutely free! (if you don't use your carrier's data network)

Another cool feature is the ability to share your Nokia Sports Tracker data in real-time in the Internet. The screenshot above shows someone in Netherlands sharing his Nokia Sports Tracker data online in real-time.

No comments: